Mobile devices are an integral part of our life. There are numerous things around us but mobile is something we always keep close to ourselves. If your smartphone is lost, you will be paranoid. In that desperate time, your top most priority will be to purchase a new mobile phone to get along in the life.
Did you get that?
This is the relevance of the mobile phones in your life. Mobile is with us every second. As a business owner, it will be one of the most profound assets for reaching your prospects.
Yes, give it a thought and you will understand what point I am making.
With business perspective, the mobile platform is imperative. This is the principle reason for a business to develop a mobile app. It will give your business kudos and act as a quick platform to interact with your user and serve them well.
So, you have decided to develop a mobile app for your business. The next thing you will do here is to choose a platform where you want to develop the app. Choosing the right reaping ground is paramount. I believe this decision of choosing platform for mobile development entirely depends on the nature of your business.
The Secret War of Mobile Platforms
From the dawn of mobile apps, there is a war between the type of approaches is waging. No one can say when it starts and when it is going to end but it is there and it is happening. You must have heard about native apps and hybrid apps. Which will be the salvation for your business entirely depends in the nature of your business.
It is the main reason I decided to write a post about it to clear out some conflicting facts about the native and hybrid apps. In addition to that, I am also adding one more perspective which is the cross-platform app. With the help of this post, you can easily comprehend which approach is better for your business and which is not.
When this post will be over, you will thank me.
So, without further ado, let’s get you started.
Native VS Hybrid VS Cross Platform
As I mentioned above, the secret war between the different mobile apps is waging and you need to get it right if you want to leverage the complete benefit of the mobile application.
In this section of the post, I have distributed points regarding the different mobile development approaches covering all the advantages and disadvantages of them.
What is a Native Mobile App?
Let’s first understand what a native mobile app is. Native mobile apps are the most common type of apps. In layman’s language, they are the apps designed for a specific platform and developed in the languages accepted by these platforms. For instance, if you are designing a mobile app for iOS platform, then you will use Objective-C and Swift. On the other hand, if you are designing a mobile app for Android platform, then the accepted language will be Java.
Just to make things clear, the two big conglomerates Apple and Google made their stance quite clear in this. Google preferred Android while Apple sticks with its iOS. With that, they launched their own interface elements and development tools.
Ample amount of companies invest in native mobile apps. Why? Have a look at the benefits given below and you will understand why native applications are preferred.
The Benefits of Native Apps You Must Know
- Since native applications are developed for the specific platform, they are deemed to be responsive and lightning fast.
- They are meant to operate at the higher performance rate.
- When we talk about user inputs and outputs, native apps are the best. They are interactive, smoother and intuitive.
- As a native application is a design with respect to a particular platform, the developer has the full liberty to optimize the app as per the native platform by any means available.
- You can also add an offline feature which you cannot find in a hybrid application.
- The native SDKs allow you to access the device’s native features such as GPS. They are not dependent on open source libraries such as Ionic and Cordova.
- A native UI allows the users to learn the app efficiently and quickly. In addition to that, the user experience is better and engaging.
- The security of the native app is also very robust.
These points really make it easy to choose native applications over the hybrid. However, I reckon you to wait until the end.
Drawbacks of Native Apps
In this section, I want you to understand certain disadvantages of native apps. For a business, it is imperative to identify the disadvantages of native apps. There are possibilities that these disadvantages may or may not affect your business. But knowing them will certainly help you in the greater cause.
- Developing native application is a tedious task. It requires separate development processes for every platform. Separate development process increases the development time significantly.
- As the above point states, with separate development processes, it requires separate updates as well. It will increase the development time and cost significantly.
- With different code base, it is always difficult to release same features on all platforms at the same time.
- With variant platforms, the cost of development and maintenance of the mobile application is expensive.
Final Verdict on Native Mobile Application
If you are a business with limited budget, you might want to go for an alternative to native apps as it is expensive and the maintenance cost is also very high. If you are a business who must serve their audience well, then you should look at the costing and go for it. Native apps are user-friendly and lighting fast which ensures better and quality customer engagement.
What is a Hybrid Mobile App?
A hybrid mobile app is like native mobile app which a user can download from the app store of the platform. The real difference lies in the development process which is why it becomes crucial to understand the basic difference between a native and hybrid mobile app.
Let’s have a look at the benefits of a hybrid mobile app to get a comprehensive understanding to utilize them in business.
The Benefits of a Hybrid Mobile App
- Writing single code for a mobile app means that you only need to write the code once. It will save a lot of development time and money.
- You can run a hybrid mobile app as a progressive web app. This provides user easiness.
- Hardware-based performance acceleration of a hybrid app is same as of native app.
- Hybrid apps also have good user experience and performance across platforms.
But wait, before you make your final decision, you might want to have a look at some of the disadvantages of the hybrid mobile app.
Drawbacks of Hybrid Apps
- Hybrid apps perform same for most of the apps except some applications such as 3D, HD games, and other high-graphics oriented apps.
- A hybrid app must have a native plugin to access the basic platform functions such as the touch ID and camera. If there is no native plugin for that, then it is a tedious task to develop for a mobile developer.
- All the hybrid mobile apps are dependent on open source frameworks and libraries such as Ionic and Cordova.
So, what do you understand from this differentiation?
Final Verdict on Hybrid Mobile Application
If your business has a low budget, you can leverage hybrid mobile app development which will cost under your budget. If your business has ample of the budget, then you can still opt for it and for functions like touch ID and other, you can develop codes to enable it in the mobile app.
A Cross Browser Solution You Might Be Interested In
A cross-browser mobile app is a type of hybrid application which will work in all type of platforms. You might be wondering why it is different from a hybrid mobile app. Well, this approach is deemed to be a developer-friendly approach. The amount of code required to develop a mobile app in this approach is the key difference. A developer requires a significant low volume of code to develop a cross-browser mobile app.
Maybe this can be your way out. Give me your thoughts on this via comment and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Till then adios and have a good day.